I was born in Apple Valley, California. My family moved around for several years before settling in Nashville, Tennessee when I was 5 years old. I have always loved music, but was intimidated by the sheer number of people I encountered growing up that were NOT succeeding in the music business. So, I went to college, got a degree in Psychology and worked in another career for 10 years. At that point, I decided I had to try to chase my dream of being a professional songwriter.
It took several years of writing for free before I landed my first publishing deal with Kim Williams and Sony ATV in Nashville. Several years after that, Rascal Flatts recorded “While You Loved Me” and I had my first top ten single. Another three years went by before Billy Currington, Jason Matthews and I had our first #1 single with “Must Be Doin’ Somethin’ Right”.
People often ask me what my favorite song is that I have written. I’m very proud of the six #1 singles. I’m thrilled that several iconic artists have recorded my songs – Joe Cocker, Leon Russell, The Oak Ridge Boys – to name a few. I’m proud of my song “Bounce” knocking Psy out of the #1 spot on the K-Pop chart in Korea and for winning Asian Song of The Year this year. And I’m proud of my Plain White T’s and Saving Jane cuts because they are off the beaten path for a Nashville writer. But my FAVORITE songs have yet to be recorded. Ask me sometime and I’ll play some of them for you.
It has been a long, hard journey with considerable costs. But, in the end, it has been worth it. I wake up every day and get to do something I love. You can’t put a price on that.
- “Must Be Doin’ Somethin’ Right” – Billy Currington 2 Week #1 Single – Platinum Single
- “Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven” – Kenny Chesney 2 Week #1 Single
- “Let Me Down Easy” – Billy Currington #1 Single
- “Fire It Up” – Joe Cocker and Johnny Reid #1 Single in Canada – Johnny Reid #1 Single in Germany – Joe Cocker
- “Bounce” – Cho Yong Pil #1 Single in South Korea – Asian Song of The Year 2013
- “Songs Like This” – Carrie Underwood Double Platinum Album
- “Cirque Dans La Rue” and “Killer” – The Plain White T’s
- “While You Loved Me” – Rascal Flatts #7 Single – Double Platinum Album
- “Could It Be” – Charlie Worsham #12 Single – Highest Debut Single of 2013
- “Dirt” – Dean Brody – Top Ten Single – Canada
- “Immortal” – Saving Jane
- “Doing It To Country Songs” – Blake Shelton
- “Did It For The Party” – Big And Rich
- “Harder” – Steep Canyon Rangers
- “Bernadine”, “Bohemian” and “Around Like Vinyl” – Songs From The Road Band